Getting healthy can be SO hard at times! Steven and I are in this process now and it’s so hard not to give into cravings.
I love unhealthy foods so much. Give me all the fries, cheese, pizza and spaghetti you can give me and I’ll be satisfied. I’m sure I’m not the only one! I knew that there was no way I could go without at least some unhealthy foods for the rest of my life. This is a lifestyle change, not a fad diet! I had to figure out some way that I could have my favorite foods guilt-free.
I’ve always heard that spaghetti squash is really good but I never believed it until I tried it. Let me tell you it is AWESOME! I honestly bought it thinking that I wouldn’t like it, but I actually surprised myself. Even my super picky husband loved it! It actually takes on the flavor of whatever you put on it. It is so versatile and can pretty much be eaten with anything! SO GOOD!
We were trying to think of something we could make for dinner all day yesterday. We had leftover cooked chicken in the fridge that needed to be used up, and we were craving something bacon-ey. So Steven thought, why not do a chicken bacon ranch spaghetti squash? We were so glad we did!
There are many different ways to cook spaghetti squash. You can cook it in the microwave or in the oven, so we chose to bake ours in the oven. The first time we made it we noticed that it was very crunchy. It was actually rather dry. So this last time, we put a small amount of water in the bottom of our baking dish before cooking it. That way, the squash would steam and get softer than before. It turned out great except it got a little watery on the bottom of the squash. We didn’t realize this until after we had started digging in. So if yours gets that way, just make sure you empty the water out of it before you start putting your seasonings and toppings on.
I know you’re going to love this recipe! Let me know how you like it in the comments below! Be sure to share it with your friends! 😉
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 breasts of chicken, cooked and shredded
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled or cut in half
- ¼-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Ranch seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Dispose of seeds.
- Put about an inch of water in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and place the two spaghetti squash halves face down (the water prevents the squash from getting dry while baking)
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour. For quicker prep time, bake the squash ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to make it. Cooked spaghetti squash stays fresh in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Next, take a fork and scrape the sides of the spaghetti squash. If the squash is kind of watery, take the strands of squash out and dump the water out of the bottom of the squash. Put the strands back in the squash.
- Next, mix the ranch seasoning, salt, and pepper into the squash strands. Evenly distribute and layer the chicken, bacon, and cheese to both halves. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.